Steelers Tailgating Guide
This Sunday is one of the biggest games for the Pittsburgh Steelers. At 8:20pm on our home field, the black and gold will play the Ravens for the second time this season and this time we’re seeking redemption. After a painful opener loss in Baltimore, the Steelers and their fans are ready to take home a win at Heinz and keep our top ranking in the AFC North.
So what can Steelers fans do to prepare for one of the biggest games of the season? Easy—they can plan their best tailgate party. So what exactly makes a great tailgate? Is it hot food and plenty of buffalo chicken dip? Or is it spiked apple cider that will keep you warm all day in the parking lot?
Here is what you need to throw an awesome tailgate:
- Table and chairs. It’s a night game this week, so being able to take a load off after a few rounds of beer pong and several hours of tailgating will be welcomed and needed.
- Enough food to keep you going the whole day. Food that will last you all day, bags of chips, and snacks are key to keeping the party rolling. You don’t want to run out of stuff to munch on after you’ve been drinking for six hours.
- A grill. A small portable grill that you can cook hot dogs, burgers, and kielbasa on will be the welcome warm treat you’re craving half-way through the day.
- Portable stereo or iPod player. Hearing “Renegade” and “Black and Yellow” will get you and your friends pumped for the game long before it starts.
- Extra warm clothing. Pittsburgh weather can be brutal and unpredictable. Even if you think you’ll be fine in your hoodie and jersey, a back-up rain coat, pair of gloves, and a blanket will be a lifesaver if it starts raining or drops twenty degrees when night falls.
- Bottles of water and Advil for the ride home. Two words: hangover prevention.
- Alcohol. Make sure you stock up on cases of beer, liquor, and whatever else you need for the of-age crowd before Sunday. Beer distributors and state stores are closed on Sundays, so don’t make the mistake of thinking you can pick up a few cases before you head down to Heinz. Take the Steelers bar with you!
- Your Terrible Towel.
Creamy Pasta Salad Recipe
To compliment the hamburgers and hot dogs you grill up, make this pasta salad that everyone will love. It’s easy, delicious, and filling.
- 1 box of macaroni
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ cup of broccoli florets
- ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Dice the onion and peppers. Cut the broccoli florets from the head of broccoli.
- Whisk all ingredients for the dressing together.
- Combine the vegetables, pasta, and dressing. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Note: You can really use any combination of vegetables and cheese in the salad. Be creative or use what you have on hand!
Black and Gold Shot
Bonus for those of you 21+ try this special Steelers shot
- 1 part Goldschlager
- 1 part Jagermeister
Pour Goldschlager into a shot glass filling halfway, then layer the Jagermeister on top. Cheers to a Steelers win.
Leave a note in the comments about what you do to make your tailgates extra special.